Many times I have addressed this very important issue to the business group I preside because for some time we have tried to become a model and a reference of business humanism in our country. However, today I am going to emphasize five humanistic pillars which are currently changing the business world:
1. To put human beings as ultimate goals and the reason of companies. Beyond productivity and profitability, dignity of each related (chairmen, employees, workers, providers, customers, public in general) is highlighted to leverage their full growth.
2. Management aware of its role into the society it belongs to. Hence they are not satisfied to keep to legal obligations but to make a business social commitment aimed at common benefit and integral well-being of the whole society.
3. To promote collaborators’ capabilities, potentialities and talents through motivation and education to achieve business goals and at the same time it supports their full development as human beings, professionals and integral citizens.
4. Merits as sources of authority. Authority is based on merits and not in the power of a position. Therefore, authority will always have to be aimed at setting the example and trying to get respect from decisions, actions and team work, rather than coercive ability or a position in the organization chart.
5. Sensible and flexible leadership. To appreciate and understand individuals in their full complexity, to listen to them, help and motivate them to reach their goals. To notice changes and adapt to them. An open, conciliatory and optimistic attitude.